So, for the first time since I started a blog I am touching on politics. It is only political due to who wrote the words below. I started a blog so that I could better document what goes on in our lives for our future children (I stink at journal writing, Chris though, every night). So, I vowed to keep politics and religion out of it for the most part. I don't think that will be a necessity in our blog, for our children will know from living in our household our political views and religion. If you really want to know where I stand on things, just check out my Facebook account. However, I do want my children to know where we stand on some social issues. Also, to know that, while it would be nice if things could always be defined in black and white, they are not and never will be. I run into shades of grey every day and it is the shades of grey that always touch my life the most and have shaped me into the person I am. These two quotes given by influential men really sum up a lot of what I believe...
The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than they are for those plagued by gang violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.
I know there are differences on same-sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in a hospital and to live lives free of discrimination.
You know, passions may fly on immigration, but I don't know anyone who benefits when a mother is separated from her infant child or an employer undercuts American wages by hiring illegal workers.
But this, too, is part of America's promise, the promise of a democracy where we can find the strength and grace to bridge divides and unite in common effort..."
~Senator Barack Obama
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent. ~Mahatma Ghandi
1 comment:
hey, it's Katie! This has nothing to do with politics... Chris's b-day post was so funny! Sam is stinky... talk to you later! :)
Post a Comment