Thursday, July 2, 2009

weekend getaway

This past weekend Chris and I had sort of a little getaway which was nice. As many of you know because of facebook, family and the massive text I sent around, I have recently gotten a job. Hallelujah! I am the sales/events coordinator at the (are you ready for the ridiculusly long title) Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City - Downtown Hotel. You can get a hand cramp just writing that, but that's the official name. I really enjoy it. My time off involved a lot of soul searching and coming to terms with some things in my life and I am so glad I realized that I belonged back in the hospitality industry. 2 years ago, I swore I would never say that, but at least this time I know what I'm getting into.

Anyway, Hilton requires that you stay at the property you working within the first 30 days of employment. This way you can better relate to guests when they have questions about the hotel. Fabulous idea. And, because I've been there less than 30 days, it doesn't quite feel like I am staying at my work yet. Here are some pictures of our room, it was really nice. The beds are awesome and it is huge even though, this is the most basic room because they are all suites.


That evening there was a crazy thunderstorm that came in fast and furious. Afterwards though, we had the most amazing view from our hotel room:

(You can just barely see the 2nd rainbow in this pic)


Friday night was fun. We went to Iggy's for dinner, which is in the same building, and then we relaxed in the room. All suites have a DVD player and you can rent movies for free from the front desk. We decided on a Will Ferrell night with "Semi-Pro" and "Stranger than Fiction". the 2nd is one of our favorite movies. On Saturday morning, we got up and went to the Farmer's Market which is right across the street. Then we went to the Himalayan Kitchen for their lunch buffet. Chris had been there, but I hadn't and it was so good! I swear that middle eastern food is the only food that can be good from a buffet! After that we went over to the Arts Festival which was nice, but it was really small compared to previous years. Chris and I wanted to get something for our house, but we couldn't agree on anything. We walked from the city library back to the hotel to get our car. On the way I found this spray painted into the sidewalk, I get a kick out of these things, because I think they are so random.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job! i can't believe they wanted you to stay there for 30 days, that sounds like funnnnn!! too jealous

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just re-read the post, this time look at ALL the words: stay at the hotel within 30 days, not for 30 days ha. still sounds like a blast, even though I can't read.