Sunday, July 26, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

For those of you who may not know (fam in CA) the 24th of July in Utah is a HUGE deal. State Holiday celebrating the day the Mormon pioneers came into the Salt Lake Valley and decided to settle here. It's a good thing I wasn't a pioneer. If I had just spent months walking across the country and this is where we decided to settle- on what is usually the hottest day of the year and the scenery is all dried up and brown, I would have been PISSED! (Sorry mom and Dad) Seriously pissed though, over the years people have come to realize Utah has some great attributes, especially if you are an outdoor enthusiast (although I do not experience any of these attributes first hand, people tell me about them...)but none of that was around in 1847. I'm not criticizing, mind you, due to the fact that since those pioneers decided to try to create a Zion in this desert Chris and I had the day off. Also, the days of '47 Parade is the 2nd largest parade in the country, the Rose Bowl Parade being the 1st. During the parade I took advantage of everyone watching it and went grocery shopping, great experience! the store was EMPTY!
For the evening we did have big plans. This year we decided to take my sister's two oldest kids to the Salt Lake Bees game. They have never been to a baseball game and there is always a great fireworks show after the game on the 24th. My parents decided to join us as well, which was fun. I think the kids enjoyed going somewhere with no parents or little siblings more than actually seeing the game. We bought them hot dogs and my parents brought Cracker Jacks. Chris and I got "Chicago Style" hot dogs. Which, for the record, was to the best hot dog I have ever had. The hot dog line took an entire hour, but luckily there was a lady in front of me who was really nice and we talked, so it went by much faster. Plus, Chris and I totally scored- The Portland Beavers got sick so the Bees game had to be cancelled. They had 2 high school all star teams play. And, to make up for the fact that we didn't see the Bees, we got 12 tickets to future Bees games, 6 tickets to Miller Motorsports Park and 6 preseason Jazz tickets! That's 12 free date nights! Below are pictures throughout the evening:









No comments: