Usually I don't like to talk about anything negative/sad/trying here. Everyone has their trials and tribulations. Since I am cynical, when I read negative things I either leave more depressed or want to tell people to quit whining. I like to focus on happy things and I certainly want my blog book to bring back happy memories. But every once in a while something humbling happens to you or someone you love and you are, in the end grateful and better because of it. Back in May, Chris and I ran a 5k because I was so touched by the Christensen's trials and what inspiration I later received from their family blog.
Then there are those situations that happen to you and not someone else. And, I guess this time, I just need to get it out.
On Tuesday, I had a great lunch with my mom. We walked around the Gateway Mall and talked. Then I showed her this little market downtown that I love. Walking into Jade Market and getting a sandwich at Rosie's Deli is just like a breath of fresh air for me. (Seriously check it out, 353 West 200 South) we got sandwiches (see this is a plus - when you don't have children to spoil, your mommy still spoils you!) and then we parted ways. My mom walked to her office at the LDS Church Office Building and me back to mine at the hotel.
Fast forward 4 hours. I was on the phone with a lady giving her a better rate than I should have because I am a pushover, when our executive housekeeper runs back and tells me a woman fell in the lobby. Of course we are the only two managers there at the time. I motion I'm on the phone and start hurrying to finish the conversation. A minute later, the desk clerk is running into my office telling me it is MY MOM on the floor. At that point I pretty much hang up on the lady and run out. My mom had walked back down to get her car. When she got into the hotel lobby she realized her blood sugar had gone really low. So, being the ridiculously honest woman that she is, she went and paid the desk clerk for some juice in the suite shop and then walked around to go get it. She never made it to the fridge. She went into insulin shock and fell. On her way down, she hit the back of her head on the corner of a baseboard splitting her head open and then going into seizures. Gotta say, there is nothing like running into the lobby and finding your mom unconscious in a pool of blood. By that time, one of our maintenance staff was on the phone with 911, another co-worker had gotten towels and a wonderful hotel guest came up to help telling me he was red cross certified. I ran back to my desk and grabbed my glucagon kit and gave it to her (miracle stuff that can bring someone out of insulin shock FAST). After a couple minutes the paramedics arrived and my mom was already coming in and out of consciousness. After answering a lot of questions, I then focused on calling Chris, my dad and sister. While everything seemed to take forever, it was probably 4:40pm when I was running to my mom and they had her loaded into the ambulance by 5:10 and on her way to LDS hospital. (which BTW, she had a 3" gash that is now sealed up nicely with staples) The paramedics kept telling me I did everything exactly right, employees at work were so glad I knew what was going on, nurses at the hospital said I handled everything great, my mom kept saying she was so glad I was there - once she was somewhat with it... And yet, all I could think about was - how could that be true, I just went through the experience of my mom on the floor at my work with blood, in fact, driving to the hospital, all I could see was that I still had blood all over my hands. But now, a couple days later, I am so thankful I was there. I've been pretty numb and disassociated with the Holiday season this year - and well, with the last, oh 9 months probably, but one week after Thanksgiving, I am very emotional and very thankful. Here is my list of what I am thankful for this week:
1. that it happened at my work and a) not on the street or b) while she was driving
2. that I knew what was happening and was able to take control and begin remedying the situation
3. for Fredi, the old employee who was simply there setting up Christmas decorations, but brought towels and stayed right by me until the firemen came
4. For the hotel guest who was red cross certified who happened to just be coming down to the lobby for a beer
5. For Braulio, our maintenance guy who spoke to dispatch the whole time
6. For Antonio, our other maintenance guy who thought to bring me water after the paramedics were there and I couldn't help anymore and for also cleaning up all the blood!
7. For Jackie, our guest service agent who recognized it was my mom
8. For the firemen and paramedics who were so nice, even though I am sure I was just annoyingly giving them information they didn't need
9. For Teresa, our executive housekeeper who pulled me away from trying to clean up the blood and told me it was ok, I could just go to the hospital
10. For the guest that asked how my mom was the next morning because she saw everything in the lobby and prayed for me and my mom the whole time
11. That I was there to handle it and not strangers
12. To my mom, because things like this bring you back down to earth, make you hug your loved ones, and for a few days at least - take the cynicism out of me. I am so grateful for the example she has always set for me. When I was 7, we moved into my grandparents house, so that she could take care of her dying parents. Because of that, I have always jumped at the chance to take care of my parents and have never struggled with the concept of caring for your parents like some do. I also honestly hope my body will be as strong as hers. Almost 45 years of being diabetic with no complications. She has only gone into insulin shock maybe 6 times in that many years and this is the first time she has ever been injured.
13. And to the rest of my family and friends because it is times like these that make you realize how important they all are to you and how much you love them.
I'll stop being sappy now and maybe go finally finish putting up my christmas decor while watching White Christmas :)
2 comments:
Oh wow Charity, I am so glad that your Mom is OK that is so scary but it sounds like it was a great blessing that it happened when and where it did.
Wow. It is a tender mercy you were there to help your mom. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment